Sunday, July 31, 2005

I am happy to note that Emory University has received an unprecedented amount of 525 million dollars for purchase of the royalty interest from two companies for an anti-HIV drug that my PhD. advisor Prof. Dennis Liotta discovered with two other colleagues about ten years ago. Officials are saying that apprently, this is the 'largest single sale of intellectual property in the history of American higher education'. The press release is here. The drug, called Emtricitabine, has been used effectively against HIV infection, alone, as well as in combination therapy. Admittedly, I am however getting a feeling that things are getting a bit laid back in our lab now; I would think there wouldn't be any problem of funding at least for the next decade or so to say the least...on the other hand, as Prof. Liotta remarked to me a couple of days ago, how about we, each of us in the computational modeling lab, get a personal computing cluster? I think I would like that ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Sumedha said...

Wow!
Some people have all the luck ;)

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's awesome!!!
actually I won't be surprised if your own lab doesn't break that record of the 'largest single sale of intellectual property in the history of American higher education' , now that you are woking there! :)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Wavefunction said...

Sumedha and The DQ: Yes...it was a combination of luck and shrewd entrepreneurship too, I think...in any case, as you can imagine, it's always good to work in a lab which does not have any funding problems. I remember one of my friends whose advisor is going to have to leave the school because of problems with funding.

Madhura: Aga kaaaaaay he!! Very flattering!!...but hang on, let me at least prove myself worthy enough to get a degree ;)...it feels like it's going to be forever before even that happens, and I get the feeling that I am barely going to escape expulsion from the program!!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home