Friday, September 30, 2005

THE MEANING OF 'RESEARCH'...

I have done dozens of experiments on the machine in the last six months and gathered data.
I needed only two more experiments that would take one night to culminate last six months' effort.
The machine is reserved for the weekend, so I cannot use it. So yesterday night was the only night I could do it.
Needless to say, I was excited and impatient because just one more experiment would bring six months' work to fruition
It would have been a perfect end to a perfect week and an imperfect six months.
The machine was working perfectly, I set up the experiments, waited for some time to see that everything was going smoothly, and went home, whistling. Tomorrow, I said to myself, I will finally get the last piece of data that would propel me to the next stage of work, thus ending six months of tedium at least for now.
I came today morning and checked the machine...there was no data whatsoever....the machine had malfunctioned due to a loss of communication with its control panel. Apparently, this is a 'random' error that occurs occassionally...
This 'random' error did not happen in the last six months.
It happened yesterday, when it should not have.
I will have to start over again on Monday. I feel like immersing myself in the liquid helium into the machine and crying myself to death. Or rather, like beating the machine to death.
My perfect ending to six months' work is spoiled.
This is what is called LUCK...no; This is what is called RESEARCH...
I am growing up...

6 Comments:

Blogger hirak said...

Murphy's Law perhaps!
Take heart cause tomorrow is another day and a Ph.D. has only a theoretical time limit!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Wavefunction said...

Yes! Although it is easy to get deluded!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

hey, im going thru' the same phase man!! if not anything else, happy to find someone else sailing in the same boat!

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

old man always says take backups

8:41 PM  
Blogger Wavefunction said...

Obviously forbidden to mention the old man by name!

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey just started reading your blog. You have very interesting posts. I can especially relate to your post about 'research'. I had a similar experience. Just when I thought I dont have to spend 20 hours-a-day at school anymore......u know the rest....

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home