Monday, May 02, 2005

A QUESTION OF USAGE: What should (would) one say?

Usually, the general populace (including me) seems to prefer the word 'would' in sentences such as the following:

"If you were to grant me this favour, I WOULD be eternally grateful to you"

However, I have seen in the penmanship of many a fine and admittedly eloquent writer, the preferred use of 'should' instead of 'would':

"If you were to grant me this favour, I SHOULD be eternally grateful to you"

Is this just a matter of somewhat archaic versus modern usage, or is there some more deep seated rule which dicates the use of one versus the other?
Maybe someone can care to enlighten :-)

P.S: On another note, today my blog completes a year, and I am heartened to see that I have not lost interest in posting. Thanks to the few among you out there who evince interest :-) I celebrate this anniversary with a session of listening to Handel's "Wassermusik und Feuerwerksmusik", four of my all time favourite suites.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Ashutosh :)
Keep up the great work!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Congratulations. And shouldn't that be "four of your favorites suites"?

9:23 AM  
Blogger Wavefunction said...

Thank you! And thanks for the support. Admittedly, the kind of material which I usually write does not draw a broad range of readership. So I always appreciate the comments of the few people who do read my blog.
And Chris, yeah, thanks. The fine point coming from the classical music expert is noted! Will duly record the change!

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashutosh,

Congratulations on completing the first year! I discovered this blog only recently, and I promise I will keep coming back for more...

Cheers!

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not all who read ur blog necessarily post a comment, too, Ashu!!
keep up the gr8 work, pan!!

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home