Friday, November 04, 2005

I would spread my clothes under your feet,
but I am poor and have only my dreams.
I have spread my dreams under your feet,
tread softly, for you tread on my dreams...

----W. B. Yeats

Again and again, for one reason or another, this fabulous piece of poetry keeps meandering back to me. It sobers me and makes me pensive like few other words in the English language. Definitely the most striking four lines of poetry I have read...

P.S. The exact wording is actually different. But strangely, this is the 'version' that has been carved into my mind, because it was in this form that I first read these lines in the marvelous 'Disturbing the Universe' by the distinguished physicist-polymath Freeman Dyson.

3 Comments:

Blogger hirak said...

Fantastic lines! Should be stored in the all-time list of 'Lines To Be Quoted to the Ladies'.
Such lines don't make sense according to Barash & Barash's Madame Bovary's Ovaries - A Darwinian look at literature. A really great read!
**
I also these lines from W.B. Yeats' other poem The Second Coming
"..
The falcon cannot hear the the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is set loose upon the world ..."

12:49 PM  
Blogger Tejaswi said...

Interestingly, the same set of lines haunt John Preston (played by Christian Bale) in the Sci-Fi thriller Equilibrium. These lines are also put in some kind of context, which makes some sense. Watch it.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Wavefunction said...

Hirak: That looks good!

Tejaswi: Sounds interesting, this equilibrium movie.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home