Saturday, September 16, 2006

COMIC SANS TOO COMIC FOR SCIENCE

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I won't go so far as to punch any bunnies, but yes, I agree completely that Comic Sans looks too childlish for scientific presentations. Yet for some inexplicable reason, one of my advisors insists in using it in all its glory, in titles, bodies of texts, and footnotes. As a result, all his slides, though quite informative and entertaining, end up looking like

"Free Food! Dusty's Barbecue!!!
Peach Cobbler and blueberry pie!!
Graduate Picnic on Chandler Chapel Lawn today at 4.00 p.m.!! Come one, come all!!"

As a side note, the gratuitous excess of exclamation marks in such announcements makes me feel like they are either desperate for us to come and eat their food (otherwise they may have the USDA on their heels soon), or that they think that there's no other way to rouse us from our grad school slumber, except by slapping us on the face with exclamation marks. The second reason turns out to be the right one, although given the quality of food at most of these events, the first reason may not be completely unwarranted.

But back to the point. So I have completely renounced the use of this comic font now. I stick with Arial, Times New Roman, Verdana, or as I have most recently discovered, the elegant Gill Sans

1 Comments:

Blogger Wavefunction said...

Yes that's a nice one too; a little too closely spaced for my eyes though.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home