Monday, November 27, 2006

NO GOD BUT NOGOD

Given my earlier writings on my blog and my opinions in general about religion and God, it was ironic to say the least when I received the following email:

Dear Ashutosh:
We recently came across your site, ashujo.blogspot.com, while searching for fellow believer bloggers.

A small group of us have started a new site called Christian Bloggers. Our prayer and intent is to bring Christians closer together, and make a positive contribution to the Internet community. While many of us have different "theologies", we all share one true saviour.

Would you be interested in joining Christian Bloggers? Please take a few minutes to have a look at what we are trying to do, and if you are interested, there is a sign up page to get the ball rolling. We would greatly appreciate your support in this endeavour.

May God Bless you and your blogging efforts. We look forward to hearing from you.

Craig Cantin
Christian Bloggers
info@christian-bloggers.com


Now this is so outrageous considering my beliefs (or actually lack thereof) that I sincerely hope that it's spam. I wish to tell them that yes, I have a different 'theology'; it is called Neology (No Theology) with Nogod as my savior, but I may have a serious disagreement with all their combined theologies if I say that.

That reminds me of the time when me and my cousin were roaming around VT and the Fort area on a hot day in Mumbai, when an evangelical Christian lady stopped us and exhorted us to attend a particular church that evening. She said that Jesus will forgive our sins, no matter what our religion (read: 'conversion spiel in beatific disguise'). I remember arguing with her along with my cousin why only Jesus could forgive our sins, when suddenly, the sight of a shop selling sugarcane juice was more than a potent force to draw me away from the conversation. No matter what sins of mine Jesus can forgive, I am sure he won't forgive my gluttony. So why bother?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashutosh:
I'm confident the invitation you received was as futile as it was misplaced. But what I'm most interested in is your choice of the term "Neology" to tag your athiesm. I've seen that term used in several ways - usually to describe the process of creating new words or things. But I've never seen it cast as a religious term. How did you come by it?

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apparently youre not the only one

8:36 PM  
Blogger Wavefunction said...

Anon: Just a trivial word I coined on the spot.

Gawker: No wonder! Good to know they are making fools of themselves in front of so many people.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, to be technical, neology means:

"The Logic of New Things"
1) Neo/ "New" as in neo-classical (the new classics) or neon (new chemical)
2) ology / "Logic" as in psychology (logic of the mind) or sociology (the logic of the social)

If you want to describe the logic of atheism, I would suggest "Atheology"
1) A / Ancient Greek prefix for "Not" or "No" as in Atheist (no God) and Anarchist (no ruler)
2)Theist / "Person who has / uses God/Deity"
3) ology / "Logic of"
Ergo, "the Logic of Not Having or Using God / Deity"

BTW I agree with your little comment about "conversion". I've had people come up and applaud the value of their social groups whilst putting a bible on the table and sounding like a used car salesman. Isn't that a little dishonest? Why not just out with it?

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home