Monday, June 02, 2008

PORTLAND, POWELL'S

I am off to a conference in Portland, OR and while I have heard many tales of its beauty, about the only thing I am looking forward to even more than the conference and place is the delicious-looking and famous Powell's Books store, supposed to be the largest in the world. Unfortunately and sadly it seems I will miss Fup the technical store cat who passed away at the ripe old age of 19 last year.

Right now I am licking my lips reading the store description, and later in the evening will be on my way to buy an extra duffel bag that can hold at least a dozen books. Although this does not bode well for moving time after my PhD.; the last time I counted I had three hundred something books stashed in bookshelves, on the carpet and on chairs in my little rented bedroom. Oh, well.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Sunil said...

Powell's world of books is my absolute favorite bookstore. I've found some fantastic books there (both fiction and non-fiction) that I haven't been able to find elsewhere (Terry Pratchett's books, for example). I used to make it a point to visit powells every time we went down to portland from Seattle.

Have fun.

1:46 PM  
Blogger gauri said...

hi! eager to know what books you got there.:)

7:37 AM  
Blogger hirak said...

Yeah, after moving six times, I have realised the worth of libraries and learning to let books go back.

But, despite that I no more shelves or space to keep more books.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Wavefunction said...

Sunil: Loved it! Actually I wanted to see if I could meet up with you, but was on a really tight schedule. In fact I could only visit a fee sections in Powell's. Hopefully next time :)

Gauri: I bought about 10 books. Maybe I will have a post on them

Hirak: As much as I have realised the worth of the "library principle" it's hard to convince a crack addict to get off the material...

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home