Thursday, October 09, 2008

MICHELLE OBAMA ON THE DAILY SHOW



What strikes me is how normal this woman and her husband both seem. It's always seemed surprising to me how Americans have thought of Bush as someone who is "just like them" and someone who they would like to have a beer with. If I were asked this question, Barack and Michelle Obama easily look like they could be my next door neighbors; friendly and reasonable people with whom I could have dinner, have intelligent and serious conversations about the world, and who would be sensitive to the concerns of people and society and more than willing to entertain differing points of view. Bush as a neighbor would seem vindictive, stubborn, fawning when it suits him, and shallow and superficial in judging other people.

It's simple. I would not want to have a beer with him, because he would not want to have a beer with me. And that's the essential difference between the Bushes and the Obamas.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home