Thursday, September 16, 2004

BOOK DELIGHT

One of the real advantages of studying in the U.S. is that one gets his or her hands on controversial, blasphemous books which have been banned in other countries. In fact, I was delighted to see that Emory University is going to start stocking a special book shelf in its library, reserved exclusively for controversial books, from next month onwards.
In this way, until now, I had the opportunity to read:
James Laine's controversial 'Shivaji: Hindu King in Islamic India' and
Paul Courtright's 'Ganesa: Lord of Obstacles, Lord of Beginnings'. Courtwright is a faculty member in Emory's Department of Religion.
Sometime, I will pen thoughts on both of these.
Now I am progressing to Salman Rushdie's 'Satanic Verses', something which I wanted to do for a long time indeed. Incidentally, Rushdie is going to deliver a series of lectures here in early October, which will be a really great opportunity. I just hope I don't get smothered by the enormous crowds which show up.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't like Rushdie's works that much. In fact I found Satanic Verses boring even .. in between.

- anya http://www.animaha.com/blog

4:32 PM  
Blogger hirak said...

Good reminder to read Laine's book. Thankz

10:20 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'd actually recommend Midnight's Children and The Moor's Last Sigh first. I think Rushdie has a tendency to become tedious is his other novels, although your mileage may vary. Verses obviously gets publicity because of the fatwa but it's not a good novel per se.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home