Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Mandatory movie post

Since everyone and his uncle seems to have held forth on this, I have a few words about the great Avatar.

I saw it in an IMAX last week and was totally underwhelmed. Sure, the special effects were interesting and novel but almost everything else was sub par. The dialogues were leaden, the attempts at humor were so weak that I am still confused about whether they were indeed such attempts or not, the performances were unimpressive and most annoyingly, the characters defined "stock" and "stereotype".

The scientist, arrogant at first and motherly later, the embodiment of a woman staking out her territory in a man's world, generally consigned all female scientists to a skeletonized cliche. Most prominently, the general or colonel or whoever he was must have been the most stereotypical Curtis Le May wannabe I have seen in a long time (of the "Yeah, we are gonna bomb those critters back to the stone age" variety). Plus, the "law of economy of characters" seemed to admirably kick in halfway through since you could tell exactly which brave-hearted souls were going to die.

In short, the story was generally childish and the direction was terrible. I expected much better from Cameron who I consider to be a pretty good even if not great director. Compare this with "Titanic" which even with the love story and the Bollywood type drama is still a fantastic movie.

I really hope Jimmy does not get another chance to yell at the top of his voice on the stage at the Oscars this year.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You watched it in IMAX and complain about the dialogues and lack of genuine humour or character arcs. I am no fanboy, but you seem to have a dredged out sense of fascination. Is physics your major?

8:32 AM  
Blogger avik said...

Exactly my sentiments... IMAX or no IMAX, Avatar is just underwhelming... And to think of it might win the Oscar for best pic and best dir is a shame... :/

8:56 AM  
Blogger Vivek Gupta said...

Avatar is perhaps the most boring blockbuster in the history of cinema. Even the special effects- once their 3-D aura has weathered down- do not hold up. The climactic battle scene, that was supposed to be a showpiece of the movie, was a let down. There are no special moments to look back fondly on; all you have is a sunken feeling of 2+ hours wasted along with 15+ dollars.

What really has added to my chagrin is the almost unanimous critical approval for this tripe. I mean, have the critics sold their souls to the big hollywood moguls? They mock at 2012 and Transformers and Avatar is masterpiece cinema for them!! Please!!

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't watched the film yet but I note with great interest that almost everyone I've spoken to or read blogs of has basically expressed disappointment at the film but at a public, global level, the film is applauded as a masterpiece. If I were a conspiracy theorists, there would be many interesting thoughts floating in my head right now...

8:39 AM  
Blogger Wavefunction said...

Vivek, wholeheartedly agree! Even the special effects lose their novelty after 15 mins. It's a joke.

Sherene, interesting phenomenon as you say. I too don't understand the paradox.

VnP, if I were a physicist I would have been ready with a list of errors in the science!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Wavefunction said...

Avik, exactly...

8:14 PM  
Blogger Subbu said...

Exactly. The movie is as cliched as it can get. King kong on 2D is better than Avatar on 3D, because of the storyline.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home